Substitute Teacher Training Program for renewals, applicants
NOTE: (June 6, 2013)
For a limited time, Knox Couny Schools is offering FREE substitute trainng classes. (Details)
Beginning June 7, 2010, the Knox County Schools instituted a Substitute Teacher Training Program designed by the Utah State University Substitute Teaching Institute (STI). This training program will be part of the substitute application process.
The application process begins with training in classroom management, teaching strategies, planning, and other instructional skills and procedures. Substitute applicants will be required to complete and pass the online training assessment, SubOrientation™ and SubSkills Training™. However, with proof of certification, those applicants who possess a valid teaching license may waive the training but must attend a Knox County Schools employee orientation session.
All substitute applicants will be charged the $39.95 cost of the training and may pay online by credit card, or by check, or money order. The training fee provides the applicant online access for a year to:
(1) The twenty-five (25) minute SubOrientation™ video and district policies and procedures for which substitutes will be held accountable. Applicants will verify by electronic signature that this information has been provided to them and that they have been duly notified of appropriate policies and procedures.
(2) The online Substitute Teacher Handbook which contains both audio and video selections to enhance understanding of the principles presented.
(3) A variety of downloadable forms, reports, and over 75 activities that can be used in the classrooms.
(4) The online SubAssessment™ which is designed to “assess” or evaluate how well the material has been mastered.
The training may only be taken over the Internet and includes 6-10 hours of interactive SubOrientation™ and SubSkills ™ training. If you prefer not to study at a computer, you may purchase a handbook for an additional $19.95. It takes an average of thirty minutes to complete each of the five Sub Assessment™ training sections. Candidates may take the SubAssessment™ a maximum of four times, to obtain a passing score of at least 85%.
Once training is completed, applicants should print a copy of their SubDiploma™ and provide it to the Knox County Schools Human Resource office before applying to be a substitute teacher with the Knox County Schools. The Human Resources Department will only accept the SubDiploma™ on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. When presenting the SubDiploma™ to the HR Department, applicants must also present a photo ID.
The SubOrientation™ and SubSkills Training™ is available at: https://stedi.org/sp/index.aspx?dist_org=knoxcs.
After successfully completing the SubSkills™ training, applicants are ready to complete the Knox County Schools Substitute Application for employment which is available on this website.
New substitute applicants, those who have been designated inactive (longer than one year) and those who have never substituted for Knox County Schools, will be required to complete pre-employment background screenings, at their expense, with the cost totaling $77.00.
All substitute applicants will be required to schedule and attend an employee orientation class before entering the classroom as a substitute. Orientation classes are scheduled and conducted by HR staff members and the sessions will be held at the Sarah Simpson Professional Development Center, 801 Tipton Avenue.
*For additional information and instructions on this procedure, contact Irma Thompson, Human Resources Department, 594-1919.
Frequnetly Asked Questions:
1. If I was an active substitute teacher during the last school year (2010-2011) for KCS, do I need to do anything differently?
Yes. If you were a current/active substitute teacher, you need to complete the online training course. After successfully completing the training, present your SubDiploma™ to KCS Human Resources Department at which time you will be scheduled for orientation. You will also need to complete an online substitute application which is available at www.knoxschools.org, follow the link to Employment.
2. If I have previously served as a substitute teacher for the KCS system but was not active during the past school year (2010-2011), do I need to re-apply?
Yes, all substitute teachers who have not been active over the course of the previous school year (2010-11) are automatically terminated. You will need to re-apply following the process described above.
3. If I am a retired teacher from the Knox County School System do I need to take the training and assessment?
No. If you are a retired teacher and have a valid professional teaching license you are exempt from the online substitute training.
4. How do I access the training?
Log on to http://stedi.org/subs
Register and purchase the online SubSkills™ Training Package.
No access code is needed. You will be able to begin the course immediately.
When prompted, create a new account and for “District: ADD”, select the state of TN and Knox County School District. This ensures that you will have access to district specific information.
5. How long does the online training/assessment take?
The course is self-paced- allow at least 6-10 hours-but the SubAssessment™ is timed.
6. How quickly can I start the program?
Once you register and pay the fees, you will be able to start the training online at https://stedi.org/sp/index.aspx?dist_org=knoxcs.
Once you register and pay the fees, your access to the training program will expire in one year. Access to the training module is 24/7/365.
7. Will Knox County Schools reimburse me for the expense incurred for taking the training and assessment?
No, applicants will not be reimbursed for the cost of the training and assessment.
8. What kind of computer do I need?
You will need a computer with Internet Explorer 7+ or Firefox 2+ installed. To hear the audio and video clips you will also need speakers or headphones connected to your computer.
9. Can I take the test without taking the training?
If you feel confident that you have the knowledge required to pass the test, you could take the test without taking the training. However, we would not advise it. You only have 4 chances to take the test and the test is designed around lessons learned from the training. In addition, you will still need to pay $39.95 for the entire substitute training program which includes the test. The test is not sold separately.
10. What is the passing score for the test?
Applicants must achieve a score of eighty-five percent (85%) or higher to be issued a SubDiploma™ and be eligible to substitute for Knox County Schools.
11. How long will it take to complete the assessment test?
The SubAssessment™ timed test will take 30-40 minutes per section, and there are five sections.
12. I know you stated that retired or certified teachers are exempt from taking the training/assessment. However, can I still take the training?
Yes, you may still register and take the training, but please be advised that it is at your expense.
13. If I become a substitute teacher and later I am hired as a regular teacher, can I get reimbursed for the training costs?
No, if you become a regular teacher, you will not be reimbursed for the training costs.
14. When I click on the URL link an error message page appears?
First, try to copy and paste the above address into the address bar of your browser. Sometimes older versions of browser software or your system's settings are not set up to automatically load the page when you click on a link. If you continue to have difficulty, please contact the Help Line for STEDI.org 1-800-922-4693. Assistance from STI is also available by contacting Barbara at 1-435-755-7800, Extension703 or Jessica with Live Chat at http://stedi.org/chat/index.aspx under “Help” at the STEDI.org web site. Hours of availability are Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time.
Substitute Pay Schedule - List of pay periods for days worked
Substitute Pay Scale
Please read our Drug Free Workplace Board Policy
|Last Updated: 4/10/14|